What a JOURNEY
this has been!
We believe in the power of the cookie and its ability to connect people, bring smiles, stir conversation, comfort, and cheer. Armed with this simple bit of baked goodness, our founder and countless others have been spreading smiles, appreciation and most of all, KINDNESS since December 2014.
Fed up with this sometimes ugly world, our founder decided to deliver a few dozen cookies to those so deserving in an effort to turn her heart around; to do something kind during a time that seemed anything but.
Her simple idea was presented in a short social media posting, asking if others would be interested in helping to “bake smiles onto the faces of our officers” in Boone County, Kentucky.
The response was so great that just 2.5 weeks later, over 30,000 cookies were delivered to our friends in law enforcement across the country. Following the success of this unexpected event, the decision came to make it an annual campaign. Before long, those in fire service were added, veterans at the Cincinnati VA Medical Center and we even teamed up with those at Smile for Brooklyn to join them in delivering smiles to the oncology unit at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and Medical Center.
As we now wrap up our 6th campaign of kindness, we are left knowing the time has come to make this more. Until this point, we were just people doing a thing. No official business entity or non-profit status. Just people who care, people who will now have a route that allows their hearts to extend even further.
Sometimes taking that first step can be intimidating. We get this and we want to take some of the worry away. Let us answer some of the frequently asked questions here for you.
A FEW FACTS ABOUT ONE KIND COOKIE
- One Kind Cookie is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity, launched on World Kindness Day in 2019.
- WE AREN'T NEWBIES IN THE KITCHEN: While One Kind Cookie was founded in November 2019, our founders have been surrounded by countless others, delivering kindness and appreciation via a cookie since December 2014 with the annual Cookies for a Cop and our Fire Friends campaign.
- WE COUNT OUR COOKIES! At the time of OKC's founding, our mission had already served almost 630,000 cookies nationally and to our military serving in Germany. We can't wait to increase this count and hope you will help make it happen!
- WE SERVE: As of November 2019, we serve law enforcement officers and their support staff, corrections officers, dispatchers, K9s, mounted patrol, border security, those in fire service, veterans and active duty service-members. In the Cincinnati area, we also deliver to park rangers, animal control, the Coroner's office, the police and fire museums, the Cincy PD credit union, the prosecutor's office. In the hopes of spreading kindness even further, we also deliver to random people we encounter along the way via our street project. It's a ton of fun and just another way to spread kindness. We can't wait to continue to add to our list of those we serve.
Kindness is contagious.
Inspire others, lead the way.
How much time is involved if I volunteer to be a leader with your Cookies for a Cop and Fire Friends campaign?
The amount of time involved completely depends upon you!
- Are you leading one department or mutliple?
- Are your desired departments large or small?
- Do you have a team that can come together to help?
We have found that those who lead up larger areas / departments almost always have a great support system AND it makes the mission so much more fun.
The beauty of being a leader though is being able to decide how big or small you want to go.
For more details on this annual project and what all is involved, GO HERE to our Cookies for a Cop and our Fire Friends page.
We appreciate our veterans! How do I go about being involved in your Tango Yankee project?
We appreciate our veterans, too.
Each VA Medical center has a volunteer services group and it is with them that the magic starts. Contact your local VA, ask for volunteer services, tell them about us and how you'd like to say THANK YOU (Tango Yankee) the veterans they serve, via a sweet treat. Let us walk you through the process, from start to finish.
We can't wait to expand upon the work we are already doing in the Greater Cincinnati area. More details on how you too can get involved will be released soon.
Our family would LOVE to host a charity bake sale. Can you tell us how?
Hosting a Charity Bake Sale is one great and fun way to help us grow further to serve more kindness, smiles and appreciation. You determine to which mission you'd like your donation to be applied to and we will handle the rest in a way that will make you proud to be a part of our mission.